Today’s project is a sketch pen project with the Silhouette Cameo, but it will work just a well with the Foil Quill. These clean & simple Christmas card designs were made using a metallic gel pen, and in the video below I’ll show you a step-by-step tutorial, and I’ll share swatches and a little review of two sets of gel pens that would be great alternatives to the Foil Quill.
The two sets of gel pens are the Sakura Gelly Roll Metallic Gel Ink Pen Set (includes 10 pens with 1.0mm tips) and the Uni-Ball Signo Sparkling Glitter Gel Rollerball Pens (includes 9 pens – 8 colors with 1.0mm tips + a white pen with a finer tip).
Both of these gel pen sets have performed great so far when I’ve used them as sketch pens. The ink flow is smooth, and I haven’t had blobs of ink or areas where the ink skips.
For the trio of cards in the video, including the design shown above, I used one of the gold metallic gel pens from the Sakura set, which actually includes 2 gold pens. I guess they know how much we like gold metallic things, so they gave us a spare!
I used the default sketch settings in Silhouette Studio for all of the cards, but if you’re using a Foil Quill, you will probably want to adjust those settings downward. I’ve been using a speed of 4 and a force of 5 for most of my Foil Quill projects, and these settings have been giving me excellent results with most brands of foil.
Check out the video below for a step-by-step tutorial on making these clean and simple snowflake Christmas cards, plus a swatch and review of the two gel pen sets mentioned earlier:
Supplies Used in This Project
The following supply list contains affiliate links. I make a small commission if you purchase through these links, and I really appreciate it if you do!
- Silhouette Cameo 3 Electronic Cutting Tool
- Silhouette Studio, Designer Edition
- Snowflakes Foil Quill Sketch Files
- Peace Love Joy Foil Quill Sketch Files
- Merry Christmas Foil Quill Sketch Files
- Sakura 10-Piece Metallic Gel Ink Pen Set *
- Uni-Ball Signo 9-Piece Sparkling Glitter Gel Rollerball Pen Set
- My Favorite Things Primitive Cream Card Stock
- Chomas Creations Silhouette Marker Holder
- Nicapa Cutting Mat for Silhouette Cameo
- Scor Tape, 1/2 Inch (any double-sided adhesive will work)
- Stickles, Platinum
* I used one of the gold pens from this set for this card making project