The We R Memory Keepers Foil Quill is the hottest tool to hit the craft market in a while, and I’ve really been looking forward to trying it out. In the video below, I’m testing out the Foil Quill All in One Kit, which includes all 3 tip sizes that are currently available for the tool.
The We R Memory Keepers Foil Quill is USB powered heat pen that inserts right into the tool slot on a number of popular brands of digital die cutting machines ( Cricut, Silhouette, Brother, and Sizzix ). It works like a sketch pen to create hot foil designs with whatever image you send to your machine, which is very cool!
The Foil Quill All in One Kit retails for $99.99, which is definitely an investment for many of us, but you can also purchase the tips individually if you don’t want all three. The individual Foil Quill tips ( Fine = 0.5mm // Standard = 1.5mm // Bold = 2.5mm ) retail for $39.99. In addition, there are also a number of different foil colors available in 6 inch wide and 12 inch wide options. Sample rolls of the gold, rose gold, and silver foils are included in the All in One Kit.
At the time that I’m writing this post, the Foil Quill is sold out at most places online. The only online shop that I know of where it’s still available is Joann.com. I’ll link to the Joann product listings below, as well as to Swing Design, which currently has it on backorder but is expecting a shipment from the manufacturer in April sometime (that’s subject to change). I trust both of these shops and have purchased from both.
Okay, let’s talk about the results of my initial testing with the Silhouette Cameo. I’ve gotta say that I’m impressed, especially with the fine tip Foil Quill. The level of detail that it’s capable of foiling is just amazing! I scaled down a pretty complex mandala design to really put it to the test, and it surpassed my expectations. Here’s a look (apologies for the slightly blurry photo):
The standard tip is also pretty impressive, and the bold tip … well, I think that the designs that I used for testing were too detailed to be a good fit for this tip. The bold tip is, I think, meant for less detailed and larger scale images, so the foiling results with these images were fuzzy and not well foiled.
All of the testing was done using the default sketch settings for the Silhouette Cameo (Speed: 10 // Force: 18 // Single Pass).
Here’s a photo of all of the initial test results with the fine tip (top), standard tip (middle), and bold tip (bottom) – click on the photo to enlarge it:
Tips & Notes:
- As I mention in the video, be sure to have a USB extension cable ready if your machine is more than 2 feet away from a USB power source. The USB slot on my Silhouette Cameo did not power the Foil Quill, so I needed to power it using a USB slot on my computer, which is several feet away from where I keep my machine. Luckily, I had a USB extension cable already, but you’ll want to pick one up if you’re in a similar situation and don’t already have one on hand.
- Be sure not to touch the metal tip of the Foil Quill when it’s heated because it’s very hot and will burn you. The colored plastic housing along the sides gets pretty hot, but not nearly as hot as the metail tip.
- When taping the foil to your cardstock (or whatever material you’re foiling), tape it as taut as you can. It doesn’t have to be super duper taut, but I think that taping it loosely will negatively affect the foiling results.
- If I could only buy one of the Foil Quill tips, I’d buy the fine tip. I still can’t get over how crisply it foils every little detail. But the standard tip wouldn’t be far behind, as it gives pretty darn good results, too.
So far, I’m very impressed with the We R Memory Keepers Foil Quill and will definitely be doing more testing with it in the coming weeks and months.
Check out the video below to see the unboxing, setup, and initial testing:
Supplies Used in This Project
The following supply list contains affiliate links. I make a small commission if you purchase through these links, and I really appreciate it if you do!
– We R Memory Keepers Foil Quill, Fine Tip (Joann)
– We R Memory Keepers Foil Quill, Bold Tip (Joann)
– We R Memory Keepers Foil Quill All in One Kit (Swing Design)
– We R Memory Keepers Foil Quill, Fine Tip (Swing Design)
– We R Memory Keepers Foil Quill, Standard Tip (Swing Design)
– We R Memory Keepers Foil Quill, Bold Tip (Swing Design)